Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cashew and Coconut Hummus

The requests are filing in! Yesterday one of my loyal readers emailed me about doing a blog post on homemade hummus. I decided to take a revolutionary approach to this well known spread. Mainly because I still had an extra can of Coconut milk at work and I had some leftover cashews from another recipe I whipped up just the other day.


I soaked the cashews over night in this bowl and brought them into work today. Soaking makes the cashews extra soft and it is actually easier to digest when you do this.


I put about 1/3 cup of water in the blender then dumped in the cashews. After that came the can of coconut milk. After the coconut milk settled into the blender I hit "Puree" and the picture below that is probably too dark to make out is the result. This made for a sweet and light textured spread. It kind of reminded me of a whipped butter. This might be a great way for vegans to make a "butter like" spread. If you are vegan and you try it let me know.


I probably should add some spices but wasn't quite sure what to add? Please feel free to send me your suggestions.

Stay positive,

matthew

No comments: