Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Avocados


Avocados were always a mystery to me. I thought they were this really hard thing to eat and you needed a special knife to get inside them and once inside you had to either make guacamole out of the flesh or know how to prepare sushi to get any use out of them. I discovered that they make the perfect addition to a meal choice anyone can prepare. That meal choice is: the sandwich.

Before I get into the tasty avocado sandwich addiction I've developed, I would like to tell you a couple things about the food with a ping pong ball in the middle. This food is high in healthy fats. This has become a popular phrase in the health food industry. Trust me it isn't a trick....there really are healthy fats! Here is my measure of how healthy a fat is. If the fat occurs in a fruit or vegetable in its natural state....then it probably is healthy! Fruits and vegetables are good for you and that is the end of it for me so I munch away without stopping. Avocados also present several essential amino acids and is considered moderately anti-inflammatory, which is good news if you are dealing with arthritis or other ailments related to inflammation.

The first avocado sandwich I ever made...oh man I can remember it like it was last week....because it was last Friday. I cut open the avocado, spooned out the flesh, cut into strips, put it between bread with a slice of tomato and some salt. I was in absolute heaven. Today I traveled to a corporate presentation in Boston. I packed a lunch....you can never be sure what you are going to get when they write in the emails, "refreshments will be provided". Ry Chi and me packed Tuna Avocado Tomato sandwiches. This was a neat trick because we mixed the avocado with some olive oil and this made a creamy texture to add to the tuna and replaced the usual need for Mayonnaise.

Give the Avocados a try and don't be afraid to leave a comment about the experience*

Stay Positive,

matthew

*if you don't have a Google account. Just select the "Nickname" option and you can leave a message under whatever alias you choose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate some guacamole today and it was soooo yummy!!. I have a huge crush on avocado's and it tickles me pink that you wrote about them on your blog today!! -lyss

Anonymous said...

OK, too funny. I've been working on what to do with those darn things this week! I've been eating guacamole and things with avocado in them for a while, and loving it, but this was the first time I've tackled them myself. What have I learned? That I have no idea what indicates a ripe avocado! So, I need to look for softer ones. And until the ones I have ripen, Trader Joe's Guacasalsa it is!

Also, I had a yummy mixture of avocado chunks (too hard to mash) with juicy carrot pulp (from juicer), a touch of garlic and I dipped red bell pepper strips in. YUM!

Rach

Anonymous said...

I love avacados!! Maybe my wife will be more daring now that she hears it from a food guru like you–she never listens to me ;)