Monday, February 25, 2008

Forbidden Foods

This weekend I ate a forbidden food. My mother told me she was going to make Steelhead Trout and was interested in having someone show her how to use her recently acquired rice cooker (if you don't own a rice cooker after reading this blog...you must really be attached to your pots and pans). Right before heading home I found some black rice at the grocery store. This was just too cool. I picked it up and thought this would be a great addition to her meal.

The story of Forbidden Rice was that it was kept under lock and key by Chinese Emperors because it was a powerful aphrodisiac. This is why it is called forbidden! The emperor shared it amongst his court when necessary. The rice was thought to be grown strictly on Royal Grounds. So I truly did eat like a king on Saturday night.

The rice is lower in gluten than brown rice and has a high iron count. It also gives off a popcorn smell during cooking. The water also turn purple during cooking. This stains so be careful!

stay positive,

matthew

PS

The meal was absolutely fantastic!

No comments: