Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One Week Outside the Box - Time to step up my game!


Arial View of Farmer's Market


Hello Positive Eaters,

I am one week into eating "Outside the Box" and must admit I feel like a cheat. I did not shop or enter any grocery stores for seven days but in many ways took the easy way out. I shopped at farm stands and made all sorts of great dishes out of the items I bought, however, I did purchase many items from healthy on-the-go type places. I ate about three burritos and bought two tuna salad wraps. Technically this is not a grocery store...but I don't believe this follows along with the spirit of the challenge.

Starting today, I will be avoiding as many of these establishments as possible as well. I am slightly scared. Honestly, it will be all about preparation and slowing down my sometimes fast paced life.

I forgot to bring my camera to the Andover's Farmer's market. This was an awesome experience. Everyone seem to be in a good mood. There was arts and crafts table for the children and live jazz music being played while I shopped! There were also lots of great produce items to pick from and I even was able to buy some home baked bread. I spent $10 there and I ate for three days! I will try to remember my camera this weekend. Above is a photo I got off the internet of the Andover's Farmer's Market.

I also visited a new spring! I went to the Cooper Spring in Buckfield, ME. This spring travels through underground crystal and gem stone reserves. The water was incredibly cold and wonderful. The view was spectacular from this spot and I want to return someday around sunset! I was happy to go with several friends...and even more happy they enjoyed the adventure...I get a kick out of driving to the middle nowhere to find water coming out of the ground...but I also grew up without cable or video games.
When we were there we actually met the local church youth director. He stepped out of his car in literally his "sunday best". Two spritely little girls danced around him in their church dresses. He explained how they need to drive past this spring and several farms just to get to a grocery store. For them it only makes logical sense to get their water from the spring and their produce from the farm.

Today, I will need to make a gigantic salad from the salad greens and produce I bought yesterday and make a ton of Quinoa and Beans. I also got tipped off on a couple local fish markets that sell fish caught that day. Check out a blog post on that :)


The local organic food makes me feel fantastic! I strongly encourage you to buy from your local farmer's market and compare the freshness and flavor to your local supermarket. You might just find yourself outside the box as well.


Stay Positive,

Matthew

No comments: