Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Journey from Goudreault Farm to my Lunch


Goudreault Farm
Plaistow, NH
Hello Everyone,
Nourishing myself "outside the box" is 3 weeks old. To this point, no pictures of farms were included in any of my blog posts. This post is to make up for that. The closest farm to my house is in Plaistow, NH off route 108. The people there are friendly and will carry on spirited conversation with you. I really like being there...so much so that I think of any reason to go back and buy more produce from them. I decided to take you on the journey from one trip over there to my lunch on Monday.


This is one section of their farm land. I even saw a young farmer tending to these crops wearing a straw hat. Perfect! He seemed shy so I left him out of the picture. The picture above is where food should come from...not factories farms! People with straw hats! The woman at the farmhouse said I was welcome to walk amongst the crops and take pictures. I thought to myself what might happen if I walked out back at a grocery store and started snapping pictures...or at a food processing plant!

Above is a summer squash growing on the vine. How cool is it that there is flower on the end. The squash wants you to eat it....it grows a flower just to invite you over to it! The only byproduct from the factory is the smoke. Here at Goudreault's it is flowers and rich soil.

Inside the farmhouse was an array of fruits and vegetables. They also sell homemade jam, fresh eggs, pies and pottery. I bought Zucchini, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Onions, Salad Greens and Carrots. This, combined with some quinoa, will make lunches for at least four days and it costs me around $14. I also picked up some blueberries, my most expensive item at $3.95...they only lasted two days. They were that good.




"Farm Beauty" is the title of the above photo. The landscaping in and around the farm is as vibrant and colorful as the people who labor there. They work hard not only in producing food for us to eat but keeping their surroundings bright and aesthetically pleasing. This makes a difference in the quality of the meal these people are helping to provide me. I feel more connected to my food, the people it comes from and the images in my head while I eat it are of this picuturesque farm in southern New Hampshire.
Everyone on the farm seemed to bounce about enjoying their labor...everyone except this guy below, who on this 90 degree day was just enjoying the shade.


I took a picture of this sign that hangs on the other side of farmhouse door. It made me smile.

I brought my produce home and chopped up the Onion, Summer Squash and Zucchini. I sauteed the vegetables in Olive Oil. I also prepared a salad and made individula containers for Monday's lunch. On Monday, Ryan called me and asked if I was available to meet him for lunch at Whole Foods. Ryan forgot that I was not shopping or eating there this month. I agreed to meet him anyway and just brought my own lunch. We ate in the outside eating area. He thought it was hilarious and took this picture below.

The comments are going to be..."what farm did you pick those bananas at?" {insert smurk here}. For those who read my last post you might remember, I commented on missing bananas...since I cannot buy them at the farm. My mother was nice enough to make a gift of about eight bananas. Which are already gone.
10 days to go!
Stay Positive,
Matthew.

No comments: