Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Celery Root Soup with Granny Smith Apples


Hello Positive Eaters,

picture above from http://jewelsfromtherovingstove.blogspot.com (cool blog actually!)

My friend Oprah Winfrey sent me a recipe today from celebrity chef Tal Ronnen. I would not call myself an elitist...but if Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama both like the soup, it's worth knowing how to make in case they pop by one day.

I did not make it yet...so if any of you beat me to it let me know how it turns out. I made some modifications from the original recipe just to make it easier for me to make. I will update you guys after I make it.

Ingredients

Sea Salt
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil(the original recipe called for three :) love olive oil)
2 Stalks of Celery including roots chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 Large Onion
2 quarts of vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 cup Cashew Cream? (I am just going to use Almond Milk)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Granny Smith Apple diced
Chives or Green Onions or Scallions (they may all be the same thing...not sure)

Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Sprinkle bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for a minute (this is new). Add oil and heat for another 30 seconds. Add the Celery and onion and saute for 6 to 10 minutes, stirring often until soft but not brown. Add the broth and the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add Cashew cream or almond milk and let it simmer for ten minutes.

Allow this to cool and then blend ingredients in blender. Add diced apple and scallions when serving...place a spoonful in the center of the bowl.

Now you are prepared in case the leader of the free world comes over. You can also just make it for your family and friends and pretend you are leaders of the world. I bet you guys would think up some pretty good answers for some of the challenges we are facing.

Stay Positive,

Matthew

2 comments:

jbartlett said...

I like your last idea...let's get together and wax poetic about our solutions to the world's crazy problems!

Anonymous said...

you've modified a recipe in a way that will not work: celery stalks don't have roots, and "celery root" is not celery, it's a root vegetable related to celery and often known as celeriac. Your recipe will make almond milk with a little bit of celery and onion flavor.