Monday, August 16, 2010

Feel the Force Flowing Through You



Hello Positive Eaters,



It is nice to be posting again. I just finished up what proved to be, quite literally, a weekend on the run. After a nice long day at the Boston Sports Club in Andover, I got into my Nissan Cube and drove out to my old stomping grounds in Fitchburg Massachusetts. I was to spend the evening at my teammate Jamie Aubuchon's house. His house was about halfway to Shelburne Falls, which is the site of the infamous Bridge of Flowers 10k, I was registered to compete in on Saturday morning.



Crashing at Jamie Aubuchon's to me, was the equivalent of Luke going to Obi Wan Kenobi's hideaway in A New Hope. Jamie, is the person responsible for teaching me the "force" or in other words getting speed into the legs of a gangly 19 year old Matthew Germain. Jamie to this day competes in track and field competitions, specializing in the Pentathlon and middle distance events. He can get on a track and roast anybody on any given day. His body seems to refuse to accept the ravages of age and he patiently continues to rear the talents (or lack thereof) of the young runners at Fitchburg State College.



I spent the evening with him and his son Ethan. What is remarkable is Jamie's conversational style and approach changed very little around his 10 year old son. He seemlessly brought him into our conversation and Ethan and I both enjoyed listening to his present day war stories at a recent series of track meets in Worcester. Ethan is of course the best runner on his football team, and it is probably only a matter of time until he sees the light and becomes a runner himself. Jamie of course sits patiently in the stands watching his son at every football practice. I wonder if he is waiting for the day the pads come off and his son learns that he can fly down the track with a speed and force that you are either born with or learn to develop through the mentoring of a great coach such as Jamie.



The next morning I slowly ate a bowl of Hemp Plus Granola, topped with bananas and slipped out of Obe Won's cavern. Shelburne Falls was still an hours ride and I needed to be ready for any of the twists and turns that the forgotten highways that penetrate Western Massachusetts can throw at you. This race was to be an experience. I put aside any concerns with time and place and just went out there to soak in every moment of this truly challenging event. After evenly splitting the first two miles, we were sent up Crittenden Hill Road, a portion of pavement that is legendary amongst New England running folklore. You are sent a mile up a steep and switchbacking beast of a hill. Your pace slows to almost a trot as you muster up any strength you can find to put one foot in front of the other. After this, well it is pretty much off to the races as the course sends you hurtling down hill mostly for the next 3.2 miles. I must say it was an easy ride, all that I needed to do was open my stride up and let myself go.



After the race, I was happy to see that the post race refreshment consisted of fruit, organic granola bars and veggie burgers. Thanks to the forward thinking race directors I did not need to stop for lunch on the way home. When I got home, a strong urge to go running again took hold of me. I kept pushing it aside...but it kept coming back. I finally suited up and went out for an evening five mile jaunt. The next morning I arose and headed out the door to meet up with my teammates for our typical Sunday morning long run. I showed up and noticed I was the only one in the parking lot. So off I went, just me and my running crazed self. I did my typical 12.6 mile loop and then just kept going. I ran through the trails at Winnekenni park and back out onto the streets...I kept going and going and going. I ended up running 16.6 miles and wanted even more.

I was able to get a hold of myself and head home for a well deserved lunch.



That afternoon, I went to Plum Island to soak my legs in the cold ocean water. The surf was strong and what felt like such a strong frame on the land suddenly became fragile as swell after swell lifted me and through me wherever it wished. I was even sent hurtling onto the sand from one particularly strong wave. A couple of teenagers who were bobbing up and down ever so cooly and riding wave after wave, commented on how well I "rode the wave", I laughed and assured them that the wave just had its way with me. We laughed and I dove into the water several times before returning to the land to dry myself off.



Walking along the sand, I was thinking about our perceptions of inner strength. Several beach goers swam amongst the churning surf with little or no concern about the massive force the ocean can exert on their tiny bodies. Often, people gawk and make comments like "I would be lucky to run 16 feet" when I tell them about my running exploits. When I am running I take little note or care about the forces gravity is exerting on my musco-skeletal system. Forces equal to 2-4 times by body weight repeatedly impart themselves on my joints, ligaments, bones and muscles. I fling myself throughout space and allow myself to float along with gravity as if nothing truly remarkable is going on. As if the forces that are "having their way with me" are natural and not distressing at all. It seems as if feats of strength and will require either an ignorance or a passive dismissal of the truly overpowering forces of nature.



I thought about my compulsion this weekend to keep feeling my body move through space. I realized there was a certain relief associated with every step. I believe a certain surrendering to the force cultivates a cooperation and respect that allows us to accept these forces as they come at us. We know it is impossible to fight it so we simply go with it. We even sometimes become intoxicated by it.



People I work with often see themselves as failures when they fall victim to a craving or a need to eat. The forces that push us to eat are completely natural and necessary. Our attempts to resist them only knock us over. Being human means accepting we need to satiate our hunger, whenever possible. The old model of dieting involved restrticting our meals, portion sizes and calorie counts. This process certainly will work, but I believe it involves fighting against a force rather than cooperating with it. One reason, I started this blog was to show people that eating healthy can be fun and stress free. Let's accept that we need to eat and then put all sorts of awesome stuff into us.



I started this post wondering if I was going to write about food at all. Interestingly, enough here we are. I challenge you to accept and cooperate with any of the innate natural forces in your life this week. Nature provided them to power our lives not wipe us out. Obe Won would say, "may the force be with you," Jamie would say "he wants to play football so I take him to football practice"...I might say "positively eat until you feel so nourished that your insides smile."



Stay Positive,



Matthew

2 comments:

Caitlyn Clark said...

I liked this post. I think all your posts have your true voice, but this one the most.

:)

Or maybe I just like this one because JAMIE IS THE TRUTH! ...

Florence said...



I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!